Summer is often a time of year when we receive visitors from out of town. Although the visits can be great experiences, the preparation can sometimes be overwhelming. In order to assist in getting ready for house guests, we’ve put together a checklist of items to execute prior to their arrival.
- Clean the entire house and yard
- If you’re using a blow up mattress, test it ahead of time for leaks and pump issues
- Launder the linens on the guest bed
- Leave an extra blanket and a couple of extra pillows in the room in case of specific sleep style preferences
- Clear out space in the closet and/or dresser for the guests to unpack their things
- Determine which meals will be had at home and buy appropriate amounts of food. Do not forget to accommodate for food allergies, preferences, and diets
- If no major meals are to be eaten at home, at least purchase snacks and beverages
- Make reservations for dining out ahead of time to ensure your desired restaurants do not book up
- Clean and set-aside a fresh towel for each guest. If you have several colors, consider giving one color to each guest so they can easily identify which is theirs in the bathroom.
- Ensure that the bathroom to be used by the guests is well-stocked with soap, shampoo, conditioner, and toilet paper. If you have extra travel sizes on hand from previous hotel stays, feel free to set these out in a bowl on the counter. It’s a great way to offload them.
- Find or have a spare key made in case you are separated from your guests
- If you have an alarm system or special entry procedures within your building, write them down for your guests
- If there is a small child among your guests, ask the parent what childproofing should be done ahead of time
- Plan a rough agenda for the trip and have several activity options to present for your guest’s choosing
- Write down the internet password for your guests
Take care of these items ahead of time and the visit can be dedicated to having fun with your guests instead of scrambling to prepare.